Saturday 7 June 2014

5k to Couch


On Thursday night I had a flash of inspiration, and downloaded the Couch to 5k app, the one that promises that you'll go from being a non-runner to someone who can run 5k in eight weeks.

I'd heard of it before, of course. I probably dismissed it as altogether too hard, but I'm a runner now and it stuck me as a good way of actually achieving the goal I posted about last week - to be able to run 5km.

So yesterday I ran with it for the first time. Compared to what I had been doing before, it was pretty easy. I'll enjoy that while it lasts - I suspect in three weeks' time I won't be finding it easy at all. In fact, I'll probably be coming back from an exhausting, shattering, run, collapsing back onto the couch, and wondering why I'm bothering at all.

I don't enjoy running. I do it because I'm on a major weight-loss journey and running burns a lot of calories. The descriptive blurb which describes the  app says that soon I'll love running and looking forward to my runs. I doubt that. I've yet to find an exercise I enjoy more than lying on the sofa repeatedly lifting a 500g chocolate bar to my mouth.

Once I've lost the weight and achieved that 5k goal I'm going straight back to the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment