Monday 2 June 2014

Whatever the Weather

I haven't been running long--maybe two months--but I think it's fair to say that thanks to the wonderful unpredictability of British climate I have run in all weathers.

This morning I checked the weather forecast, and discovered that it was predicted to be hot and sunny in the afternoon. That's my least favourite running weather, although ironically it's my favourite weather generally. If I'm going to get hot and sweaty I really don't need extra heat from the sun, thank you very much. (If I'm going to lie on a lounger by a pool with a good book, on the other hand, bring it on!)

I'm not too fond of windy, either. Running with the wind to your back is great, but running with the wind in your face is twice the effort for half the results. And since my running route is circular, I get both extremes on windy days.

But at 8.30 this morning my favourite running weather presented itself. Overcast, about 12 degrees, with the tiniest bit of drizzle. So I decided to throw in a quick run before work. I didn't do well, possibly because my body is used to running later in the day, and I gave up after only one circuit (more on excuses in a later post) so I'm going to have to go out again in the blazing sunshine after all.

Other great running weather includes snow, ice and storms. Because then I drive to the gym and do it on the treadmill in air-conditioned comfort.

Update: The promised sunshine never appeared, so I went out at my usual time (2pm) and did 2.4km (2 circuits) in 17 minutes 4 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment